Click on above photo to see recipe.
Newfoundland is known for its abundant fishing industry and its delicious seafood dishes. Here are some popular fish recipes from Newfoundland:
- Fish and Brewis: This traditional Newfoundland dish is made with salt cod and hard tack, a type of hard, dry biscuit. The cod is soaked overnight to remove the salt, then simmered in a flavorful broth with onions, bacon, and spices, and served with the hard tack.
- Fish Chowder: This creamy and comforting soup is made with cod, potatoes, onions, and milk or cream, and seasoned with bay leaves and thyme.
- Pan-Fried Cod: Fresh cod is seasoned with salt and pepper, then dredged in flour and fried in a hot skillet until golden brown and crispy.
- Baked Salmon: Fresh salmon is seasoned with lemon, herbs, and spices, then baked in the oven until tender and flaky.
- Fish Cakes: Shredded salt cod is mixed with mashed potatoes, onions, and spices, then formed into cakes and fried until crispy and golden brown.
These are just a few of the many delicious fish recipes that can be found in Newfoundland. Whether you prefer your fish baked, fried, or simmered in a soup, there are many options to choose from, each showcasing the fresh and flavorful seafood that the province is known for.